The building’s elaborate stamped metal upper story represents a period of construction associated with the arrival of the railroad and the resulting ability to import prefabricated architectural elements. Built in 1887, it was one of the first major buildings to be constructed on what would become Alamosa’s main street. The two story building had duel purpose, the street-level retail stores made money to support the the second-story Masonic Hall. The elaborate Italianate trim and cornice and cast iron façade, along with emergency doors, a new roof and windows were all restored with funds from the Alamosa Masonic Temple Association, city support, State Historical Fund Grants and a grant from the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area.
State Register 5/14/1997, 5AL.243
514 San Juan,, Alamosa, Colorado, United States 81101